Did India’s jitters cost them in the second innings of the Visakhapatnam Test? Veteran England pacer James Anderson believes so, suggesting their cautious batting stemmed from uncertainty about a sufficient target.
Day 3 of the second Test between India and England witnessed a fascinating shift in momentum. After Shubman Gill’s heroics propelled India to 255, they surprisingly opted for a conservative approach in their second innings. This strategy drew scrutiny from the England camp, with James Anderson suggesting nerves played a role.
Anderson’s Observations and Claims
- Cautious Batting Despite Big Lead: After establishing a substantial 399-run lead, India’s second innings batting surprised many. Their cautious approach, particularly in the final session, led to questions about their strategy.
- “Nerves Were There to See”: Anderson, speaking after Day 3, highlighted the visible “nerves” in India’s batting. He believes they were unsure about how many runs constituted a safe total, especially against England’s aggressive “Bazball” approach.
- “They Didn’t Know”: The veteran bowler further stated that India’s uncertainty led to a hesitant batting display. He revealed the England dressing room conversation, where the coach encouraged chasing even 600, highlighting the contrast in approaches.
Was Anderson Right? Exploring Different Perspectives
- India’s Perspective: While Anderson’s assessment raises eyebrows, it’s crucial to consider India’s perspective. The hosts might have prioritized minimizing risks and ensuring a strong bowling total to defend.
- The Pitch Factor: The Visakhapatnam pitch has offered assistance to spinners, and India’s lower order hasn’t always been reliable. A cautious approach could be part of a calculated strategy.
- Psychological Warfare?: Anderson’s comments might also be seen as a tactical ploy to put pressure on the Indian team heading into Day 4.
Whether Anderson’s claims hold merit remains to be seen. Day 4 promises an exciting battle, with England still chasing a record target and India aiming to capitalize on any psychological advantage. One thing’s for sure: the uncertainty surrounding India’s second innings has added another layer of intrigue to this enthralling Test match.